The first township organizational meeting was held at the home of George Perkins, or rather outside the Perkins home due to a shortage of room. (Armada Ridge at 33 Mile Road). Its been noted that the 1838 meeting was moved outside and held next to the woodpile where elbow room was plenty.
Richmond Township received its name from the suggestion of Phillip Cudworth, in memory of his former home in Ontario County, New York. The first township elected officials were, Supervisor Hiron Hathaway, Clerk George Perkins, Assessors John Hicks and Jesse Huff. William Simmons and John Hicks were Overseers of the Poor.
The first clearing made in what is now called Richmond was in Section 30, by Edwin Rose in 1832. John Hale, Anson Pettibone, Charles Hicks, Phillip Cudworth, the Beebes, Perkins and others moved in soon after. The latest entry for government lands was made on April 4, 1884, by Richard Ball.
The first school district was organized shortly after on April 7, 1838. It is noted that five pupils studied under Miss Mahalla Weeks. The pupils were noted as James M. Hix, Eliza A. Hix, William Hall and two other pupils.
Townships were the brainchild of Thomas Jefferson and were created before Michigan became a state. Andrew Jackson's philosophy of direct democracy further shaped the township government structure that survives and thrives today.
Townships embody the values of "grassroots government". In townships, citizens contribute their talents, skills and ideas to preserve the quality of life and deliver important programs and services.
Township officials live in the communities they serve and stay in touch with ever changing needs. Limited by law in the amount of taxes they can levy, township officials are creative in delivering quality services with least possible burden to taxpayers.
Efficient, Effective, Accountable, Accessible.
Township government embodies America's great democratic principles.